Flu Vaccinations 2019/2020
Flu season is now upon us, eligible patients can now book appointments for your vaccination by contacting the surgery.
Who is eligible -
- If you are aged 65 years and over (including those becoming age 65 years by 31st March 2020)
- People aged from 18 to less than 65 years of age with one or more of the following medical conditions
- chronic (long-term) respiratory disease, such as severe asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or bronchitis
- chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
- chronic kidney disease at stage three, four or five
- chronic liver disease
- chronic neurological disease, such as Parkinson’s disease or motor neurone disease, or learning disability;
- immunosuppression, a weakened immune system due to disease (such as HIV/AIDS) or treatment (such as cancer treatment)
- asplenia or splenic dysfunction
- morbid obesity
- Pregnant women aged 18 or over (including those women who become pregnant during the flu season)
- People aged 18 or over living in long-stay residential care homes or other long-stay care facilities
There are three types of flu vaccinations that are specific for different ages groups. One for 65yrs and over, one for 64yrs and under and Nasal flu for children.
Our clinics are built around the deliveries of our flu vaccinations and this year there has been a manufacturing delay on the flu vaccinations for those aged 64yrs and under. This is because the World Health Organization took a decision to delay the vaccinations by 1 month.
Child Nasal Flu
The Nasal flu will be given to children at school if they are in the school years of Year R - Year 5, this will be given by the school nurse. The school should make you aware of when this will be.
GP surgeries are only able to vaccinate those children aged 2 - 3yrs old as of the 1st September and any child with any of the above medical conditions that will not be given the vaccination at school. We are currently unable to order child nasal flu vaccinations until the 14th October 2019, so clinics will be held after this time.
Shingles Vaccination -
- You are eligible for the Shingles Vaccination if you are aged between 70 - 78yrs
- In addition, anyone who was previously eligible (born on or after September 2 1942) but missed out on their shingles vaccination remains eligible until their 80th birthday
Pneumococcal Vaccine -
- You are eligible for the Pneumococcal Vaccine if you are aged over 65yrs
Please note that if you have previously had the Shingles or Pneumococcal Vaccine before you will not need to have the vaccine again, the GP or nurse who give you the flu vaccine will be able to see this on your record if you are unsure.
The current clinic dates available are -
- Saturday 5th October
- Saturday 26th October
- Saturday 30th November